Thursday, March 12, 2009

Confession time

I have a dark confession to make: I really like both John Stewart and Jim Cramer. That I enjoy Stewart should come as no surprise to anyone who's read my blog and knows my politics. As for Cramer, I've always enjoyed his brand of nutty info-tainment, and when I learned that the guy was a life-long Democrat I let myself go. To me there's something tremendously reassuring about learning of sucessful businessmen who are left-of-center in their politics. It seems to hold out promise for a society that is both productive and compassionate. I am not a proponent of centrally planned economies (is there anyone left who is?). Like most American liberals (whether they realize it or not) I broadly agree with the sentiments and goals that John Rawls laid out in his Theory of Justice: that ecomonic inequalities are justifiable in somuch as the poor would be worse off without them, and that a regulated market economy is the most likely mechanism for acheiving economic prosperity that is in keeping with this ideal.

So watching the recent on-air brawl between John Stewart and Jim Cramer has been a bit like watching mommy and daddy fighting. Kinda painful. It's heartening, then to learn that Stewart is something of a hero to Cramer. I have a sneaking suspicion that tonight's on air cage match is going to turn into something more of a kiss and make up. At least I hope so. I'd hate to learn that daddy is moving into an apartment on the other side of town and I'll mostly be seeing him on weekends from now on.

No comments: