Thursday, March 12, 2009

Where is Rove getting his numbers?

In a Wall Street Journal Editorial today Karl Rove again repeats the falsehood that George W. Bush only added $2.9 trillion to the national debt over his 8 years in office. In fact, Bush added nearly $5 trillion to the national debt since he took office, essentially doubling it during his time in office. Rove has produced this $2.9 trillion figure on numerous occasions, and I have yet to see him being called on it. What's more, I've done some web searches and have yet to find any justification for this figure. Rove simply repeats the figure, no one calls him on it, and the show moves on. It's the classic Big Lie technique. I'm sure Rove has some disingenuous justification for his claim, but it's rather sad that no one has yet challenged him to produce it.

2 comments:

Mo MoDo said...

I would say he pulls them out of his ass, but then they would be much bigger.

And if $2.9 trillion additional debt is the ridiculously low number when Dubya inherited a surplus, why bother lying. It's like when my parents caught me drunk in high school and I told them I had only had two beers.

Anonymous said...

Only if you leave out Iraq aka Chewco in Enron-ese.